DIY Bird Feed
This homemade bird feed is an easy, healthy option for birds of all feathers! Try it out for your local bird population.
- 8 pounds suet
- 2 pounds peanut butter
- 8-ounce bottle corn syrup
- 2 pounds rolled oats
- Melt the suet in a pot over medium heat, pouring the melted fat into another pot as it cooks down.
- While the melted suet is still hot, add the peanut butter, corn syrup, and oats, stirring until mixture is well blended.
- Put the mixture into old soup cans to cool and harden.
- To use, warm the can until the mixture is soft enough to handle.
- Drill a number of 1 ½ inch holes in a 4″ diameter birch log (leave the bark intact to provide good toeholds for the birds), spread the feed mixture into the holes, and hang the log outdoors where it is accessible to birds.