This nutrition-packed suet provides energy to keep birds warm during the coldest weather. Make-ahead tip: wrap any unused suet cakes in plastic and store in your freezer.
Rating – Easy
- 1 cup lard
- 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy will work)
- 2 cups oats (quick-cooking variety)
- 2 cups fine ground cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Melt the lard over low heat in a heavy saucepan.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly, but don’t let it harden.
- Stir in peanut butter, oats, cornmeal, flour, and sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into small containers (shallow cans, large ice cube trays). Refrigerate until hard.
- “Serve” the suet cakes or cubes in a suet feeder.
- If not using right away, wrap in plastic and store in your freezer.