Tex Mex at home doesn’t get much easier than this, and the no-sodium marinade is key. Save the salt for the cooking step to infuse your chicken or tofu with flavor rather than too much salt.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb. sliced chicken breast, sliced into strips
14 oz. package of extra firm tofu, pressed to remove water, patted dry, and sliced into strips
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for the pan
- 1 onion, sliced thin vertically
- 2 bell peppers (any color) sliced into thin strips
Toppings / Condiments
- Low fat sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large non-reactive (plastic or glass) bowl.
- Add chicken or tofu to marinade mix, making sure to coat all surfaces.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and no more than 8 hours. Gently turn the chicken or tofu a few times while marinating.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken or tofu from marinade. Let extra marinade drip into the bowl, and blot chicken or tofu with paper towel.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan.
- Cook chicken or tofu until browned on all sides. If using chicken, make sure it is cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and return to the stovetop over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat for a minute or two.
- Add sliced onions and peppers together for 8 to 10 minutes until soft.
- Serve with tortillas or lettuce wraps, with toppings of your choice.