Sketch your desired pattern onto paper to help with placement later. Prepping your vegetables and herbs ahead of time will make the “art” part of your baking project much more fun!
- 1 tube refrigerated “classic” (not thin) pizza crust
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Assorted vegetables and herbs, such as:
- Small red, yellow or orange bell peppers (sliced thin horizontally to create flower petals)
- Red onions (sliced thin vertically to create flower petals)
- Chives and scallions (for flower stems)
- Italian parsley, basil (for leaves and grass)
- Halved grape tomatoes or black olives (for flower centers)
- Mushrooms (sliced thin)
- Fresh rosemary, thyme (accents, plants)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Prep all of your flower and herb decorations. If using halved grape tomatoes or olives, place them cut side down on a paper towel to absorb some of their liquid. Wash all vegetables and herbs before slicing or cutting, and pat dry before baking.
- Preheat oven according to directions for pizza crust.
- Lightly oil a flat baking sheet; place dough on crust and stretch to desired shape.
- Gently press your fingertips into the dough to create a “dimpled” top.
- Brush dough with a small amount of olive oil; sprinkle lightly with coarse salt and grated Parmesan (if using).
- Using your sketch as a guide, place vegetables and herbs in your desired pattern. You’re limited only by your imagination. When you’re satisfied with the arrangement, press the vegetable and herbs lightly into the dough.
- Brush all herbs and vegetables with a small amount of olive oil.
- Bake according to the dough directions or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing (but be sure to take a picture first).