These savory walnuts, flavored with herbs and just a touch of butter, make a great addition to a cheese tray. Substitute cashews or different spices to create your own special mix.
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage or poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread nuts in a single layer on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet or baking pan.
- Toast the nuts for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring once midway.
- While the nuts are toasting, combine the oil, butter, fresh rosemary, sage or poultry seasoning, paprika and coarse salt in a large bowl.
- Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Add toasted nuts to the spice mixture and toss well to coat.
- Return the coated nuts to the parchment-lined pan or sheet and spread in a single layer.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until nuts are dark and fragrant.
- Remove pan from the oven, stir nuts one more time and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Cool completely before storing to maintain crispness. Nuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature, in the refrigerator or even frozen.
- Substitute pecans for the walnuts.
- Substitute cashews. No need to pre-toast cashews.
- Substitute fresh oregano or fresh thyme for the rosemary.