February is Heart Month. Start it off right with these filling and heart-healthy recipes to keep you ticking all day. Steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast, Italian vegetable soup for lunch and one-pot salmon roast for dinner.
Steel-cut Oatmeal with Fruit
- 1 tablespoon light margarine
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- In a large pan, melt the margarine and add the oatmeal.
- Stir the oatmeal into the margarine and toast it until it’s golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent overflow and sticking.
- Add the milk to the oatmeal.
- Stir gently and cook on low for an additional 10 minutes.
- Scoop into a serving bowl and top with fruit and cinnamon.
Freezer-friendly Italian Vegetable Soup
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 3 zucchinis, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 40 ounces vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup small pasta shapes
- Small bunch basil
- Gently cook the onion, carrots and celery in the oil in a large saucepan for 20 mins, until soft.
Splash in water if they stick.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, herbs and zuchini and cook for 4-5 mins on medium heat until they brown a little.
- Pour in the beans, tomatoes and stock, then simmer for 20 mins.
- If you’re freezing it, cool and do so now (freeze for up to three months).
- If not, add half the Parmesan and the pasta and simmer for 6-8 mins until pasta cooked. Sprinkle with basil and remaining Parmesan to serve.
- If frozen, defrost then re-heat before adding pasta and cheese and continuing as above.
One-pot Salmon Roast
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 asparagus spears trimmed and halved
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 salmon fillets, about 5 ounces each
- Handful basil leaves
- Heat oven to 425º.
- Tip the potatoes and 1 tbsp olive oil into an ovenproof dish, then roast the potatoes for 20 mins until starting to brown.
- Toss the asparagus in with the potatoes, then return to the oven for 15 mins.
- Throw in the cherry tomatoes and vinegar and nestle the salmon amongst the vegetables.
- Drizzle with the remaining oil and return to the oven for a final 10-15 mins until the salmon is cooked.
- Scatter over the basil leaves and serve everything scooped straight from the dish.