Combine canned tomatoes, broth or water, dry pasta, beans and leftover veggies to make a flavorful, healthy soup from pantry staples.
- Olive oil
- Diced onion
- Diced fresh or frozen vegetables like carrot, zucchini or green beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans, white beans or chickpeas
- 4 cups broth or water
- 1 cup uncooked pasta (small shapes work best)
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary and black pepper, or an equal amount of an Italian spice blend
- Fresh lemon juice, grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add diced fresh or frozen vegetables, and cook until vegetables soften.
- Add tomatoes, beans, broth or water, pasta and spices, and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If using, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice into the finished soup and top with grated Parmesan.