A shrub is an old-fashioned summer sipper that’s rebounding in popularity as fermented drinks like kombucha become more mainstream.
Made with summer fruits like peaches, pears or apricots, shrubs are slightly sweet, a little bit bubbly, and very refreshing on a hot summer day.
- 1 pound peaches with skin, pitted and chopped
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup mild white wine vinegar
- Seltzer or club soda
- In a large glass or plastic bowl, add sugar to the peaches and mash to combine. A potato masher or pastry blender works well for this step.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, add the vinegar to the fruit mixture. Stir well to combine. For more fruit flavor, store in the refrigerator for 2 days before using.
- When ready to use, stir well, then strain through a fine mesh sieve. Press down on the fruit to get as much liquid as possible.
- Pour the juice into a clean glass jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate until ready to make your drinks.
- For each drink, combine 1 part of the shrub mixture with 2 parts seltzer or club soda, and serve over ice.