Once upon a time, Black Friday, the Friday after Thanksgiving, meant people staying up all night to get in the stores the moment they opened – sometimes even trampling each other to try and be the first to get the best deals.
Slowly, this phenomenon is changing. Each year, online sales gain momentum as people enjoy the convenience of online shopping from home or work.
Enter Cyber Monday, the Monday after Thanksgiving, when many retailers offer special deals to lure consumers to shop from their websites. In fact, most retailers offer specials and most also offer free shipping on this day. In 2013, Cyber Monday sales rose to a record $2.29 billion.
As an added convenience, shopping online makes it easier to compare prices. Here are some tips for finding the best deals and shopping safely.
Find the Deals
- While most retailers offer Cyber Monday sales or deals, some of these sales will start as early as Thanksgiving Day.
- Most retailers have special pages on their websites set up to inform consumers about their Cyber Monday deals. You can also sign up for email newsletters and alerts from your favorite brands to stay informed. Watch the retailers’ Facebook pages for announcements and special offers.
- Shop.org is said to have coined the phrase, and the company’s CyberMonday.com site features deals, free shipping, and coupons year-round – not just for Cyber Monday itself.
- To maximize your savings, start shopping near the time the sale starts, price compare (including shipping costs versus free shipping), and see if there are coupon codes you can add to sales for additional savings.
Here are a few tips from StaySafeOnline.org
- Shop trusted vendors. If you’re shopping from a company you’re not familiar with, note their phone number and physical address, and check their online reviews.
- Make sure your computer is up to date with the latest protection, software and shop from a secure connection.
- Use unique passwords.
By watching Cyber Monday deals, you can get started on your holiday shopping from the convenience of your home or office, and find great bargains at the same time. Happy shopping!