Want all the beauty, adventure and fun of an exotic spring vacation without having to worry about a passport, changing currency or any other hassles of traveling to another country? Here are five of the many choices available: No passport required!
- Hawaii: When planning a trip to Hawaii, you actually have six distinct islands to choose from. The beautiful scenery and tropical weather speak for themselves, but beyond that you can create a vacation tailored to your desires, whether that’s sitting in a beach chair reading or enjoying adventures such as boating, surfing and hiking. The islands even feature eight national parks – home to canyons, craters and volcanoes of epic beauty.
- Alaska: The largest state, Alaska encompasses 663,300 square miles and is a mecca for cruising, fishing, viewing glaciers up close and even scenic train travel. For those who love raw beauty and uncrowded open spaces, Alaska is a dream come true with 15 national parks, preserves, monuments and national historical parks.
- S. Virgin Islands: The U.S. Virgin Islands are made up of three major islands – St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas – located about 1,100 miles southeast of Miami, FL. With beautiful beaches and a laid-back lifestyle, the islands offer a variety of travel experiences, from quaint shops to golfing, to nature and nightlife. Pick the island that’s right for you, or do a little island hopping.
- Puerto Rico: Puerto Rico offers yet another great island choice. Perfect for adventurers, you can zip-line through the tree tops, rappel into a cave, explore 270 miles of beautiful coastline, golf one of 25 courses and then end the day at one of the island’s many renowned restaurants.
- Staycation: If you don’t have the time or money to hop on a plane this spring, consider a staycation, meaning you vacation at home or near home. Whether you do nothing but relax for a weekend or book a night or two at a nearby resort for some pampering, staycations can provide a much-needed change of pace.
Explore many featured destinations in the United States and abroad at AARP’s travel page, which allows you to create itineraries; book hotels, flights, cars, cruises and activities; access AARP member discounts; and read up on your chosen vacation spot.
So choose your spring break getaway and experience a vacation that inspires, relaxes and recharges.
No Passport Needed! – Weather.com
7 Tips for a Grown-Up Spring Break – HuffingtonPost.com
Five Exotic Places You Can Go Without a U.S. Passport – USAToday.com