Break out of a breakfast rut with this sweet and savory breakfast bowl. The combination of sweet potato, quinoa and spinach will get the day off to a delicious start.
- 2 small sweet potatoes – scrubbed, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (separated)
- Spice blend
– 1/2 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/4 teaspoon cumin
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Toasted, chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425° and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss diced sweet potatoes with oil and spice blend. Spread in a single layer on a the baking sheet. Roast 25 – 30 minutes; stir halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, cook the quinoa.
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is soft and translucent.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat remaining 1 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the eggs.
- Toss the roasted sweet potatoes with the cooked quinoa.
- To assemble the breakfast bowl, start with the spinach in the bottom of each bowl. Top with 1/4 of the sweet potato-quinoa mixture, then a fried egg.
- Garnish with toasted walnuts if using.
Note: Diced avocado and a dollop of plain yogurt are nice additions to a breakfast bowl. Experiment with different grains like farro versus quinoa for another healthy variation.