Replacing certain ingredients in traditionally high-carb foods means you can enjoy your favorite treats guilt-free. These vegan mini muffins call for no eggs, dairy products or flour, but bring plenty of flavor with juicy berries and sweet apple sauce.
- 1½ cup rolled oats*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 24-cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Pulse oats in a blender until finely ground. Add baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and salt; pulse once or twice to combine.
- Add applesauce, brown sugar, oil, water, flaxmeal and vanilla; puree until smooth. Stir in blueberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 28 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out to cool completely.
*People with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity should use oats that are labeled gluten-free, as oats are often cross-contaminated with wheat and barley.